Blog Archive

Thursday, November 13, 2014

The McChicken Massacre of '14

Day 134 10/24
Mileage 27
Staying at Cajon Pass

I was on trail promptly at 6:30 this morning. It promised to be an easy day, almost all downhill. However, I was anxious to make miles quickly, because my day's destination was the Cajon Pass McDonald's. Yippee! Now, I think I've eaten at McDonald's maybe once in the last fifteen years, but this place is legendary. It's right near the trail. There's even a trail sign. People break years of vegetarianism to eat at this particular McDonald's. Needless to say, I was eagerly anticipating it. All day, I was following large groups of cougar tracks. I wound around and descended from Sierra-esque pine forest to dry scrublands. I crossed the San Andreas fault early in the afternoon and struggled to follow the path through fallen vegetation before crossing under the cavernous I-15 underpass. I stood blinking in the light on the other side for a while and found the famed McD's trail sign. I made my way up the road and installed myself in a booth in the corner. I won't go into the gory details, but my time in that booth was nothing short of a massacre. Even the cashier made a comment about it. I think what he said was "Wow, man, I gotta say, I really didn't peg you for someone who could eat this much." I was very pleased with myself. "Thanks!" I replied. I'm staying in the hotel at Cajon Pass tonight to wait for the group of hikers behind me. Bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment