Blog Archive

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Birds are cool, cabins are cool

Day 24 7/6
Mileage 16
Camped at Mike Ulrich cabin

I was listening to the birds last night, trying to pay actual attention to what I was hearing, and I heard what Kyle has identified as a hermit thrush. I kept listening and noticed repetitions in its calling pattern, and after a while I could tell what part of its song was coming next. I could even whistle along to it. It's so nice to be able to take the time to just stop and devote myself entirely to listening. When I do, I realize how much is going on around me.

Today was hotter, with rolling hills. We passed through a large burn area and wound around ridges, and crossed a bunch of forest roads. We're staying now at the Ulrich cabin in Government Meadows. It's a sweet cabin that's maintained by volunteers from a local snowmobile club and is totally open to the public. We did more miles than we needed to the last few days, leaving us with only 13 tomorrow, with less elevation change. It goes up higher, though, so it may be more snowy. There wasn't much today, so it looks promising. Time will tell. The higher mileage are tough, but I'm happy with how I'm feeling. I'm sore, but in a good way. Sleeping time.

1 comment:

  1. I love the bird story. Sounds like meditative listening.

    ReplyDelete