Blog Archive

Monday, August 11, 2014

That day where there was awesome breakfast and trail magic

Day 43 7/25
Mileage 20 (+1)
Camped at Timothy Lake(!)

What a whirlwind day! I rose at 7, one of my earliest days yet, to rush over to the breakfast buffet. What awaited me there surpassed my wildest dreams. Wonderful potatoes, oatmeal, pastries, fruit, coffee, basically everything I ever wanted. They even had eggs in cups made of ham. Cups. Made of ham. That would be delicious even if I weren't hungry enough to consider eating my own arm. Then, we picked up our boxes and spent a while sorting through our stuff. I left with a superbly packed pack, ready to crush miles. We then found out that the larger of the two fire closures south of us is open! The rain, it seems, happened for a reason. At noon, we saddled up (me and Kyle, that is- Zoe started a couple hours previously and Pete's hitching to Bend to replace his sleeping pad, which has developed a goiter) and descended the sandy lower slopes of Mt. Hood. After the descent, the trail became a superhighway. Several feet wide, nice and soft, no rocks, no hills, nothing. We cruised, feeling as if we were expending no energy whatsoever. Soon after, we encountered our first trail magic! Several wonderful people had a table with coolers of soda, fruit, cookies, and other goodies, which they enthusiastically shared with us. People are awesome. We stayed for an hour or so, then reluctantly headed out. We flew through the next few miles, got really tired around 7, saw Little Crater Lake, which is a big pool fed by an artesian spring, so it's crystal clear, and now we're at Timothy Lake! Hey hey! Good day, easy day. Oh Oregon, you treat us right.

No comments:

Post a Comment